Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Coaching (mentoring) ... Coaches

Just recently the single most influential person in my coaching career passed away much too soon. I spent time watching, learning, coaching, making mistakes, asking questions and repeating that cycle an infinite amount of times over years. In the early years through his guidance and trust my coaching evolved rapidly because of the lessons learned, the environments he put me in to and because of the other coaches he exposed me to. To be clear when i speak of coaching i'm not talking about techniques or tactics. (though I surely learned massive amounts in that process) The message is about communication, teaching, and mentoring, while finding ways to effectively reach and motivate different people in a way that is unique to their
skill set. It's through that process that leads me to this topic.

In my coaching education (which really started as an undergraduate student) it was the coaches I had as an athlete that unknowingly started the process to becoming a coach. By adding my experiences as an athlete (through a variety of sports and coaches) and my work with a vast array of mentors and coaches leads me to who I am now.

To evolve best as a coach we need to spend on going time with other coaches in some way, shape, or form. We can learn some from doing, some from reading / watching but the reality is we need to learn from what other coaches are doing and how they are (or are not) doing it. For years (15+) I have been preaching that USA Triathlon or other Triathlon Coach Certification programs need to take the lead of organizations like the NSCAA (National Soccer Coaches Association) with regards to how they TEACH their coaches how to COACH and "certify" them. Since that doesn't appear to be on any of their agendas for educating coaches it is in (y)our own hands to expedite the process. How?

Though I never thought about it until recently, I have five other coaches on my triathlon coaching roster. Of course I provide them their daily guidance for training and racing, but because of the long term relationship we have I'm guessing I have provided more than that. These coaches (athletes) tend to be the ones I have the most communication with and are the ones whom ironically have the most success in their racing. I have and will continue to be a firm believer that, if you want to be the best triathlon (or cycling, running, swim, soccer) coach you can be you have to spend time with and in front of other coaches. Two day certification programs will provide you some information, or how to drop and drag boxes to build a training plan, but they won't match the value you will get from having a trusted mentor, guide, teacher and coach of your own.

As you continue your coaching journey, consider investing in those who can continue to evolve your skills and continue to mentor you as a coach.

ALWAYS Learn!

DL

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment